Steps to Take After Finding Credit Report Errors
You have found an error on your credit report, and are worried about the impact it might have on you or if it could point to a larger identity theft problem. Credit report errors can show up even if you’re doing everything right.
However, there are actionable steps you can take to take protect yourself and start taking care of credit report errors.
Make sure you have an up to date credit report
To ensure you have accurate and the most up to date credit report, you have the opportunity every year to request a free credit report at http://www.annualcreditreport.com/. This will grant you your credit report for all three following credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian & Transunion.
Dispute your credit report errors
Submit a credit dispute report for each error
Credit report errors are dependent on each credit reporting agency. If you have an error, it must be disputed with the credit reporting agency it’s listed on.
- If there is an error on your Equifax credit report, the first step to challenge it should be disputing this error with Equifax.
- There are sample credit report dispute letters you can use to start you out with to ensure you include all important information necessary to start the process right.
Credit report agency contact information
- Equifax Information Services LLC
- P.O. Box 740256
- Atlanta, GA 30348
- Phone number: 1- 866-349-5191
- Online credit dispute link: https://www.equifax.com/personal/disputes/
P.O. Box 4500
Allen, TX 75013
- Phone number: Phone number provided on credit report
- Online credit dispute link: https://www.experian.com/disputes/main.html
- TransUnion LLC
Consumer Dispute Center
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016
- Phone number: 800-916-8800
- Online credit dispute link: https://dispute.transunion.com/dp/dispute/landingPage.jsp
Freeze your credit
If you notice systematic errors in your credit report, or suspect foul play, freezing your credit is an available security measure to protect yourself. All three credit bureau agencies allow you to freeze your credit in times of need. Credit freezes add an extra layer of protection in case anyone is trying to purchase items while using your identity:
- Equifax — https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp – 1-800-349-9960
- Experian — https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freeze – 1‑888‑397‑3742
- TransUnion — https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securityFreeze/landingPage.jsp – 1-888-909-8872
Contact credit report dispute lawyers
While you can be successful disputing credit report errors, it can often be difficult:
- Even after you dispute the credit report error, there is a chance the credit reporting agency will not remove it.
- Credit report errors can often point to a bigger identity theft issue.
In this case, it is always best to work with a professional who can help you get the answers you need.
Why Choose Us
- Seasoned Litigators with Proven Success in Multiple Fair Credit Reporting Act Cases
- Skilled in Identifying Qualified Cases
- Highly Knowledgeable of Consumer's Rights in Matters Related to Inaccurate Credit Reporting
- Extensive Understanding of the Financial Harm Caused by Credit Reporting Errors and Identity Theft
- In-Depth Knowledge of the Credit Reporting Agencies and Furnishers Operations