Reasons for using a Credit Report Attorney
Fighting for Washington DC Identity Theft Victims
Identity theft is considered by many to be the fastest growing crime in the United States, with some calling it an epidemic. In 2008, identity theft complaints made up 26-percent of all fraud complaints nationwide. The cost of identity theft to U.S. businesses and consumers is estimated by many organizations to be in the tens of billions of dollars annually.
The Commonwealth of Virginia takes identity theft seriously, with several tough state laws supplementing the federal laws and stiff fines and penalties for offenders. The Virginia Office of the Attorney General says the state ranks 22nd in the nation in identity theft victims.
Why you need a credit report lawyer
While federal and state law enforcement officials in Washington, DC regularly investigate and prosecute identity theft, consumers must also guard their credit reports and take fast, aggressive action at the first signs of trouble. By the time you realize your identity is stolen, the thief typically enjoyed a shopping spree for luxury goods at your expense. Perhaps the thieves opened new credit accounts using your stolen personal information, or even committed a crime while posing as you.
The problems tend to escalate because identity thieves are always a step ahead of you. Never pay any disputed amounts and take the following steps in fixing the problem:
- Obtain the free copy of your credit report that each credit bureau is required to provide you annually
- Notify creditors and your bank of the theft to close your accounts
- File a criminal complaint with the police or sheriff departments in your area
- Notify each of the three credit bureaus in writing about the disputed item in your report
- Obtain an Identity Theft Passport from the Virginia Office of the Attorney General
If these steps fail to fix the problem, you may need to contact a credit report attorney and file a lawsuit against the credit bureaus or creditors.
At Blankingship & Christiano, P.C., our Reston credit report attorneys have a successful track record taking on the credit bureaus and their powerful attorneys. We will not hesitate to sue any creditor or credit bureau to fight for your legal rights and restore your good credit.
We are knowledgeable about credit and consumer law as well as frequent changes to these laws and have experience dealing with credit disputes and handling complex litigation against credit reporting agencies and creditors.
If you are the victim of identity theft or a credit report dispute in Washington DC or Virginia, bring your case to a Reston credit report lawyer at Blankingship & Christiano, P.C. Contact us at (571) 313-0412 or online to discuss your case.
Why Choose Us
- Seasoned Litigators with Proven Success in Multiple Fair Credit Reporting Act Cases
- Skilled in Identifying Qualified Cases
- Highly Knowledgeable of Consumer's Rights in Matters Related to Inaccurate Credit Reporting
- Extensive Understanding of the Financial Harm Caused by Credit Reporting Errors and Identity Theft
- In-Depth Knowledge of the Credit Reporting Agencies and Furnishers Operations